Finding Time for Your Passion

How do you find time to pursue your passion?  Whether that passion is playing the guitar, quilting, or playing golf, we all have something that brings us joy.  More than likely, our passion plays a part in our life's mission.  It's our way of serving and helping others. 

My passion, of course, is writing.  I spent a lot of time developing my writing skills in college, but after I graduated and had a couple of children, I decided I'd have to give it up.  Fortunately, my writing had a pull on me.  I couldn't give it up.



I've found a great role model in one of my favorite artists, Minerva Teichert, who created stunning paintings and murals until her death in 1976.  I always imagined Minerva Teichert as a single woman with an art studio.  Then I read an article about her in BYU Today  http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2124  I was surprised to learn that Minerva Teicherts's life was much like mine--only busier. 

She and her husband owned a ranch in Cokeville, Wyoming.  Among other tasks, Minerva cared for 75 chickens, sold milk, read stories to her four children, and grew a garden.  She regularly cooked meals for her family and some ranch hands.  Despite her busy life, Minerva found time to paint.  She kept a large canvas hanging in her front room--a painting in progress.


The article quoted her granddaughter Marian Eastwood Wardle:  “She was a multitasker—big time.  She’d be cooking at the stove and walk around [the corner] and put some brush strokes on the painting.” I could relate to that.  I do some of my best writing while I'm cooking, doing dishes, running errands, or folding clothes.  I often have to pause during my chores to write down a few sentences or ideas that I'll later transfer to the computer. 


Minerva took advantage of the time her children were asleep to work on her paintings.  The article noted that she sometimes even set the clocks forward so she could sends the kids to bed even earlier and eke out a little extra painting time.  I think many of us busy moms can relate to that.

I think the most important point that the article made was that Minerva Teichert didn't sacrifice her family time for her art.  Her art contributed to her family life.  She used her pictures to teach her children and others about the gospel, the pioneers, and other important subjects. 

Comments