So You Think You Can't Dance?

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a very politically incorrect statement here. Most white men won't dance. My husband is no exception. He will slow dance, but he will not fast dance in public. Ever. Even if I drag him out into the middle of the dance floor and dance around him. Here's what I've learned--it actually draws more attention to see a tall white man standing perfectly still in the middle of the dance floor than to see him dance. People come up to us and say things like, "You two are so cute" as I dance next to him.

After our last escapade on the dance floor at a wedding reception, I told my husband I wished he'd take dance lessons. A few days later, he came up with a deal for me. He would take dance lessons if I went to a gun class with him. (I have been refusing to go to said gun class for about a year now.) That got me. I said I would do the gun class if he went to the dance classes first.

Friday was our first dance class. I was surprised how many people were there—about 20. And, get this, there were MORE men than women. The men were also, in general, younger than the women. I about fainted.

The class consisted of some young couples who were there to learn to dance for their weddings. Then, there were singles, who I guess go there to meet people. And there was one older couple who was there for fun. The single guys were really nice. I danced with a couple of them while my husband was dancing with the instructor. Not that I'm looking to trade up or anything--especially now that hubby's taking dance lessons.

We learned the waltz, the rumba, the swing, and the hustle. Most people think waltz is the easiest. Not us. We did best at swing and hustle. I guess we're just cool like that.

The beginner’s class was at 7 pm. Then they had a dance party at 8 pm. Lots of older couples and singles came to the dance party. Since we’d already paid for the class, we could stay as long as we liked without paying again, so we stayed and practiced during the party. It was great for people watching. There were some really great dancers there--including old people who danced circles around us and sometimes bumped into us because we didn't know what we were doing.

It was fun to watch the single people. Like I said, there were a lot of young single men—mostly not white men. (What is with white men and dancing?) But here was the most interesting thing: the older single women got to dance over and over again with the young single guys. (Hint hint, ladies.) Who would have thought a ballroom dance class was such a great place to meet other singles? Not me. Now I'm wondering what other places are great for meeting people.

Comments