Babystepping into the New Year

I used to be a big goal setter, but as life's gotten more complicated, I've gotten to be more of a little goal-setter. I know a lot of people have followed the example of Ben Franklin or George Washington in the way they set their goals.  Not me.  I'm more like Bill Murray's character in What About Bob? I'm all about the babysteps because they work for me.  (Forget exercising for an hour four times a week--my goal is twenty minutes three times a week.) 

I like to start my New Year off with a tradition I borrowed from Cheryl Richardson, the famous life coach.  She tells her readers to write down all the stuff they accomplished in the past year, even the small stuff.  Lately, we've turned this into a family tradition where we all sit down together to help each other remember what we've accomplished.  It's always surprising how long the lists can become.  (Sometimes we remember more things to add the next day.)  This year, my list will include teaching my daughter to drive, posting a video on YouTube, buying a vacuum cleaner with a retractable cord, and taking my kids to the pool a lot this summer.  What have you accomplished this year?

There are very few goals that I set without achieving them.  That's why my husband doesn't want me to ever have a bucket list.  He's afraid I'll check off all the boxes then wonder why I haven't died yet.  Last year, I made four resolutions, and kept three out of four.  Which one didn't I keep?  Number one:  simplify. If anyone knows an easy way to simplify my life, please let me know. 

Comments

  1. I think with a big family and a bishop husband, there's no easy way to simplify right now. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherish, I was afraid you were going to say that! I'm still going to try, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment