Persuasion is Off the Press


My book got off the press last week.  It looks great, and I was so surprised that it has a bumpy title--okay, the technical term is debossed, but you know what I mean.  It's also got that fancy shiny stuff on it.  Anyone know the technical term for that?  Glaze?

I'm excited and nervous.  It's weird to think of myself as an author even though I've been writing for years.  Until last year, when I submitted my novel and signed a contract, writing was just what I did for fun.  And writing Persuasion: A Latter-day Tale was a lot of fun.

One of the weird things about being a novelist is that people assume that I am my main character.  I've had conversations with people who called my main character "you" instead of by her name, "Anne."  There are a few reasons why this could be a problem. 

First, my main character has a lot of problems with her parents.  I don't. 

Second, my main character is still in love with a man she dumped years ago.  I'm not.

Other than that, I'll admit that I do have a lot in common with my main character.  I can be a bit of a doormat for one thing.  I've also been known to show up at garage sales without any make-up on.  Anne and I also have the same hair.  And we share an obsession with old movies and classic novels.






Comments

  1. Yay! Nice picture! Congrats :)
    I really love this new version of Persuasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's official - you've arrived! That has to feel like one of the coolest things you've ever accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!! Can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cover. I'm excited to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, I'm so happy for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the hardest thing for me about having people I know read my work, is that they assume certain things about me based on the novel, and I never want them to know how right or wrong they are. It lessens the story when they try and relate it to the writer too much. The price we pay, I suppose.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The technical term for the shiny stuff might be a UV coating? Maybe. It's some sort of coating anyway! =] Congrats on the book! I just got the review up on Six Mixed. LOVED the book! You've done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited - it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to your blog - I cannot wait to read your book. I love Jane Austin and I'm excited to read your "updated" version. xylatate@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment